Hyperhidrosis - Our bodies use sweating to regulate our natural heating and cooling, but the production of excess sweat on a continual basis beyond the sweating that is required to cool us properly then our sweating and cooling process may be categorized as a disorder and it's medical term is called hyperhidrosis.

There are 4 primary types of sweating categories as they relate to our body parts:

  • Sweating of the hands known as Palmar Hyperhidrosis.
  • Sweating of your feet that is known as Plantar Hyperhidrosis.
  • The more common excessive sweating of the underarm known as Axillary Hyperhidrosis.
  • Excessive sweating of the face known as facial blushing.

Treatment Options

Focal Botox injections are becoming popular - Botox basically blocks the nerve endings that lead to the sweat glands. This treatment is however very expensive and needs to be renewed every couple of weeks.

Another common treatment is iontophoresis - basically a low-powered electric current is sent through the affected area to reduce the activity of the sweat glands. This treatment is most commonly used for palmar and plantar hyperhidrosis.

Surgery is almost not being used anymore - newer scientific findings showed that it is pretty ineffective. While it does permanently stop the excessive sweating in the area where it is performed, it can often (in as much as 90 percent of all cases) lead to compensatory sweating in other areas of the body.

Aluminum Chloride: The most powerful and frequently effective compounds used for excessive sweating are an over the counter aluminium chloride solution (Drysol, Xerac, Maxim). How it's effectiveness is obtained is not ideal but it's thought to primarily block the sweat gland pores. After a few treatments per week, most patients experienced decreased sweating though a user should initially be on the lookout for any rashes, irritations or allergies. These drugs work best at night when sweating activity is minimal.

You must seek medical help if you have excessive sweating. Hyperhidrosis is a disease and it should be treated by a doctor who has the expertise.